I know, I know I haven’t blogged in a while. Writing the free e-book, Use Amazon to Promote Your Books took a lot of time and attention. But here I am again, writing about video. I should be explaining how to create a video, and I will very soon. Instead I thought I would take some time to help you explore YouTube. I know that you probably have searched YouTube for informative or recreational videos, but I would like to write a few blog postings to help you get the most out of YouTube.
While you are doing that in this blog and another, you will see some good examples of book and author videos before you create your own. Today we will get some of the basics out of the way.
Create an Account
You do not need an account to search for, watch, or download a YouTube video. However, to utilize the features that are important for authors, an account is essential. I promise to tell you why as we explore the features. Here is how you sign up for an account:
- Click on this link , http://www.youtube.com
- Click on the Sign Up link at the top right corner.
- Fill in the Sign-Up form.
- YouTube will send you an email to confirm your subscription.
- Once you confirm, you will have an account.
- If you want to search just put the topic in the search box.
- You can choose the “sort by” and choose from the drop down menu to narrow your search.
You Tube’s home page has sections of interest to help you find what’s new and popular.
- What you may like. YouTube keeps track of your browsing habits and suggests videos and channels (more about this later) that you may like from what you watched or searched for previously. It even tells you why. It is like what Amazon does with “you may also like.” First they list the channels (which you can subscribe to) and then individual videos.
- A Spotlight. YouTube features a video and then lists related videos. Today, they put the spotlight on the movie “The Hangover 2” and listed videos of scenes from the movie.
- Trends- Trends are videos that have a lot of users. There is a featured trend with the most views. There are lots of ways to make money from trends. I will blog about one way later in the series.
- Post Bulletin. This is a new tool YouTube has given us. Eventually you will have a channel on YouTube with videos of your books. I have a channel of all the videos I made or others made (video book reviews) for my clients. I will use my channel to show you how to post a bulletin. I hope all of you will go to my channel and subscribe. Then you will get updates when new videos are posted.After you login, go to your YouTube channel. ‘
- For this exercise go to janisf1944 Channel. Click on subscribe.Click on the video you want the bulletin to announce so it appears in the large video screen.
- Click on the Post Bulletin button and a dialogue box will appear. This won’t show if it is not your channel.Type in your message and copy the url; (address) of the video and pasted it in the box. This won’t appear if it is not your channel.
- The message will appear on the left side below the large video box under Recent Activity and on the home page below the suggested videos. Look at it on my channel.
- Only your YouTube friends and subscribers will see it .
The next blog posting will be all about channels on YouTube and a list of channels you might want to subscribe to.
Just for fun, I will end with a funny video dedicated to all the romance writers. This is part 1 of 4, stay tuned!