Today I am going to build a Google+ profile for my public profile. A good profile should engage people so they want to follow you and want you in their circles. It also should be useful for searching so readers can find your website, blog, and books. You can have a business page for your books, I set one up for Assisting Authors Online. Read my previous post, “Expand Your Reach with Google+” to get the background on why it is important to create a presence on Google +.
- If you have a Gmail or Google account, use that to sign in to Google +. If you don’t, go to google.com and sign up for an account. Do that now: https://accounts.google.com/signup. This account can be used with all Google applications including Youtube.
- When you sign up for an account be sure to signup as yourself not your business. You can sign up with your pen name if you wish.
- When you reach your profile, Google + will offer a custom url be sure to accept this because it is easier to use.
- You will see a lot of information to fill in, Work, Education, Basic Information, Links, Contact Information and your Bio. I read an article by Kathryn Dolllar for Media Orchard who wrote that you should fill out as much as you are comfortable with because Google favors those who have complete profiles. I am pretty much done with my profile. You can use it as a model.
- Your profile image is very important because your image will display in searches. Use a professional hi res image of yourself. It is recommended that if you decide to have a business page, use your logo as a profile image on that page. As an author, you could have a 250 X 250 pixels an image of you holding your book, I am sure you will think of something creative.
- The cover itself is huge: 2120 X 1192 pixels. It gives you a lot of room to work with. Above is a image of a template that meets the size. Notice that the bottom of the image is for your profile image and other things.
- You can download above template to help you create the profile cover. You can click on the image and it will take you where you can download it. If you Google, “Google+ profile cover templates”, there are many free and paid templates you can choose to download.
- I created a cover for my business page and I am not sure I love it. Please let me know what you think of it in a comment. I still haven’t finished the cover for my profile.
If you have a blog, you absolutely must relay the posts to your social media sites. I know that you can do this with stand alone WordPress blogs ( your own url) but I am not sure about Blogger and sites like that. If any of you know, please leave a comment. I use NextScripts: Social Networks Auto-Poster as the plugin to send my blog posts to Twitter, Facebook, Linkedin, and Google +. On your plugins page on the top, it says “add new,” just copy and past the name of the plugin into the box.
The next post will get you into the heart of Google+. The circles and the communities. They are what really make Google + different. Don’t forget to comment about my business page cover. You can see it by clicking this link: http:/./bit.ly/1huSwQO.
For more information, click on the article below.
Assisting Authors Online