This is t he second post of the blog series Why Give Away Your Books for Free. This post will explain why Amazon’s Kindle Direct Publishing Select program (KDP) is a fantastic tool to use to promote your book. I will explain what the program is, why you should take advantage of it, and how to use it.
Let’s get started.
This is a program Amazon offers where you as an author can:
- Earn higher royalties Earn your share of the KDP Select Global Fund amount when readers borrow your books from the Kindle Owners’ Lending Library. Plus, earn 70% royalty for sales to customers in Japan,India and Brazil.
- Make your book free to readers worldwide for a limited time The Promotions Manager tool will allow you to directly schedule and control the promotion of free books. You will get 5 times in 90 days.
- Reach a new audience Distribute books through the Kindle Owners’ Lending Library and reach the growing number of Amazon Prime customers on Amazon.com, Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.de and Amazon.fr
- To be apart of thiis program, your eBook must be on Amazon exclusively for 90 days. You must suspend or remove it for sale anywhere else for that period of time. However, you may have your print books for sale on other sites.
- You need an eBook formatted for Amazon. We provide this service at a reasonable price. We will also distribute it to iPad, Sony Reader, Barnes and Noble Nook, Kobe, and Google Books once your 90 day Amazon promotion is over.
- Your eBook needs to be uploaded to Amazon if you need instructions how to do this please email me at Janis@assistinauthors.com. I will be happy to help you through the process at no cost.
If your eBook is already on Amazon, Do these steps
- Log into your Amazon account.
- Click on this link to sign into KDP https://kdp.amazon.com/self-publishing/signin
- You should be on the entry page of Kindle Direct Publishing. You also will see your titles that are published on Kindle..
- Look at the title you want to enroll in the Kindle Select Program all the way to the right of that row is a link (Enroll in Kindle Select). Click on that link and it will ask you to confirm that you want to enroll and will guide you to enroll
As part of the program your get 5 days to give away your book 6 times in the 90 days Why would you do this?
- KDP gets publicity boost from Amazon in the paid rankings The more downloads your free eBook gets the more Amazon will help promote it
- Amazon will give free publicity after the program, For each person that downloaded your book, they have downloaded other free or paid books.
- Amazon calculates which books were most likely to be from the same customer and will include them in “Customers who Bought this Book also Bought”
- Soon your book will start appearing up on other book pages and will get free advertising which will help your sales and rankings. This happened to one of my Clients. Just after his first free day his book rose to #3 in his category on Amazon. I am anxious to see how your book does when Amazon starts to get involved with promoting the it book. So send me an email and I will put your experience on our blog.
Don’t start a free book give-away on KDP yet. In the next post in this series, I will is show you how to get ready for your first KDP give-away.
Notice on our right sidebar thatr we have a new free book give-away if you subscribe to our newsletter and Pinterest Video Course with a new lesson every week. If you are already a member of our newsletter, I will be send you a separate email with both the link to download the book and the video course.